Friday, November 12, 2010

Progress Report 11.11.10 - T Minus 9 Days

9 Days until the Big Show!

Progress continues on the layout.  I installed my first Tortoise switch machine.  The instructions are more cumbersome than the actual install.  The setup of the tortoise wire and install itself was pretty easy.  The worst part is contorting your body to fit under the layout to mount the machine to the benchwork.  Soldered the wires to the DPDT slide switch purchased at Radio Schlock.  Connected some alligator clips to test and everything worked on the first try.  Sweet!  Ran some longer wires and installed the actuator switch.  Tested again.  All good!

During the process of the tortoise install, I managed to break one of my 1/16" drill bits that I use for slide switch installation.  No problem as I have a second one that was included in my recently purchased kit.  But wait, I lost that one the previous night when working in Rock Island.  Doh!  Searched all over the layout and under it.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  Carrie reminded me, weren't you vacuuming that night.  I checked the vacuum and there it was.  Sweet!  I didn't care to make another Lowes run to purchase another kit.

Track Gang Report:
I found another piece of track that was misplaced.  I might have enough to finish the trackwork on the CNW branch under the ovalix.  I also need to install the lead at Stockdale for the N&W Meredosia Branch and the industry tracks in Davenport off the CNW branch.

Slide Switch Progress Report:
Cut, stripped and soldered the feeder wires for the last 15 slide switches.  I need to drill the holes in the throw bar, but I hope to finish slide switch installation this weekend.

West Davenport Yard (Staging) - None installed. One will need to be engineered as it interferes with the Continental Grain Company building. Two scheduled to be installed.

Davenport Yard - All, but one installed. Again, one will need to be engineered to fit between the yard tracks.

Davenport Industrial Park - Complete

Rock Island - Complete

Bureau - Complete

Stockdale - Complete

Joliet - Main & Siding Complete

Joliet Industrial Park - Six scheduled to be installed

CB&Q - One scheduled to be installed

Blue Island - Complete

Burr Oak Yard - Complete

CNW Branch - Four scheduled to be installed

70 Total on the layout, 55 complete, 15 to go

No comments:

Post a Comment