Thursday, October 1, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Airbrush Part II

I have found airbrushing is easy.  Decaling is a whole different can of worms.  Uggh.  I can imagine this is somewhat easier in HO scale, but good grief.

Decaling the ICG caboose went pretty smooth and quick.  I attempted to decal the stripes on the end of the Illinois Terminal GP7.  Well, that didn't go as well.  Finally, I said screw it and just placed IT Company decals on the ends.  I also screwed up the last "l" at the end of Illinois Terminal.  I figure some weathering can make that disappear.

Admittedly, I'm not the best at this at all, but I am willing to try.  I guess that counts for something.  Overall, they are my first projects like this and I'm pleased.

One question?  How do you get rid of the film look after decaling?  I sprayed both pieces with dullcote.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Airbrushing

I haven't forgot about the photos of the Fast Tracks FreightCrate.  I need to finish the second one and snap some photos.

Meanwhile, I have been practicing with airbrush painting.  Here are two projects I'm working on.

I got a hankering for an Illinois Central Gulf caboose, but unfortunately, you can't find them on eBay very often.  So, I thought to myself.  Maybe I could paint it myself.  It is all orange and basic decals.

Another project I wanted to do was create an Illinois Terminal GP7.  Again, they are pretty scarce on eBay.  I thought I could paint it and apply the decals (including yellow striping). 

Future Illinois Terminal GP7.
I believe I'm doing well with coverage and not too heavy on the paint.
I try to make many light passes.

Future ICG Extended Vision Caboose

I'm enjoying airbrushing.  It is not near as difficult as I thought it would be.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Fast Tracks FreightCrate

Between sessions, I have quite a few cars that are stored basically anywhere I can find a place.  I have been placing them on my Hot Wheels / Matchbox car shelf, but I have too many to fit there.  I have been looking at the Fast Tracks FreightCrate for some time.  I finally broke down and decided to purchase a pair of the 90' car carrying cases.  Do I have any 90' cars?  Heck no.  I figure I would place two cars in each slot.  The largest car I run on the railroad is a 57' Mechanical Reefer.  Everything else is small with many being in the 40' range.  So, I figure I can get 24 cars in a crate.  Not bad.  These two should resolve storage issues between sessions and won't take up much room.

So, tonight, my daughter and I constructed one of them.  It went together pretty well.  We took our time with it.  I would say we completed it in about 45 minutes or so.  I'm sure the second one will go quicker now that we know what we are doing.

Tomorrow, I'll snap photos of it.  I haven't placed any cars in it yet, but overall they are very nice crates.  I like them!

The ROCK 3.0: Peoria Operations Video Part III of III

Sunday evening, I worked on filming part three of the Peoria Operations series.  This will be the last part as I was able to finish up the job.  I had to remove some of the cars to complete this local.  When I started this series, I just randomly selected cars to stage.  It was way too many and makes if difficult to operate.  There are definite limits that must be heeded to operate this train.  Overall, the video series is just shy of an hour long.  It is a cool job to run and I love it!

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the lift out and drop leaf sections.  I have taken them in and out numerous times.  It is quick and works well.  I couldn't have asked for more.  On my next layout, I might consider just building a modular layout.  No plans now, but if we ever moved, I think that is what I would do.  I'm really pleased with the Anderson Pole connectors as well.

So, enough talking, here is the last of the Peoria Operations video.  Enjoy!

Friday, September 18, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Peoria Operations Video Part II of III

This video went together pretty fast.  It is also shorter at about half the time of the first video.  Here we make the set off and pickup for the TP&W as well as work Allied Iron and Steel.


Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Peoria Operations Video Part I of III

It took a while to upload, but here is the video for the Peoria Operations.  The video series will be broken out into four videos.  The first video covers classifying the cars in Peoria and making deliveries to the Peoria & Pekin Union (P&PU) Railway and Burlington Northern (BN) Railroad.

Hopefully, you will find it interesting and not bore you to sleep.

Last night, I worked on recording video for Part II of the Peoria Operations series.

Monday, September 14, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Video Production

So, post operating session, I re-staged Peoria to create an operating video.  This has been more involved than I would have expected so far.  I took 83 short videos yesterday and I'm no where near being insisted with the local job.  Late last night and today, I worked on putting them together in iMovie.  So far that has been pretty easy.  I think folks might find it interesting to watch. I do at least.

Tonight, I worked on recording more footage.  

I have learned with this local not to overload the other three railroads with staged cars.  I'm paying for it as my moves are limited at times.  Mike warned me of this Saturday that I was right at the limit of how many cars it could handle.  

It is good for the CEO to operate the various jobs so he knows what the crews have to endure.  :-)

Oh, I'm recording all the video with my iPhone.  It works well. It is crazy how technology has evolved.