Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Progress Report - Blue Island Electrical Work, Locomotive Servicing

This morning, I continued work in Blue Island.  In an attempt to narrow down the poor electrical performance of locomotives in this area, I'm dropping feeders everywhere.  I managed to get a few installed this morning before my batteries died on the soldering iron.  I didn't feel like getting out the Flesh Burner (corded soldering iron) that early in the morning, so I waited until this evening after I picked up some fresh batteries.

Continued work this evening soldering ten sets of feeder wires in the industrial area.  I was knocking over stuff left and right and just having general coordination issues tonight.  I became frustrated, but managed to finish soldering the wires.  Tested with one locomotive.  Better, but still sputtering at places at low speeds.  Cleaned the track well and still having issues.  Tried with two locomotives at low speed, no issues whatsoever.  I don't know what to think about it.  I hate that it has these minute dead spots, but I'm guessing I will just have to use two locomotives.  Uggh...how maddening!

Got everything back in order in the area as I have some guests coming over this weekend.

December Op Session Notes
A few changes for the Christmas Operating Session are on tap.  Both Peoria Rocket trains have been temporarily annulled.  Aunt Maude and her sister are on vacation in Iowa.

The Quad Cities Rocket is a monster!  Due to the increase of people going to Chicago to do their Christmas shopping as well as increased mail, the train is a whopping twelve cars long.  This includes three TOFC flats on the rear.  Quite impressive looking with the dual FP7s on the point.

The pair of Peoria freight trains have been temporarily annulled due to lack of traffic.

Hot Shot Auto Parts/TOFC train #57 has been annulled as the automobile industry is shutdown for their holiday break.  Remaining TOFC traffic has been moved to the general freight trains temporarily.

Don't fear, I still have sixteen trains on tap to run for the op session.

The new Yardmaster position at Kelly Yard will be available for operators to choose from.  Enhanced operations will include being responsible for hostling power to the fuel servicing area as well as maintaining locomotive 30-90-365 day inspection schedules and servicing cabooses.








No comments:

Post a Comment