Monday, October 21, 2013

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 10.21.13

This morning, I was too tired to think much less work on the layout.  I opted for doing a bunch of nothing on the sofa before work.

This evening, I was more energized.  I continued south preparing track through Libbey-Owens-Ford.  I have all of L-O-F in place (not glued) minus the two box car loading tracks.

I failed to mention over the weekend, I came up with the idea to add blue LEDs to place between the tracks at Ottawa Silica (bagged sand loading into box cars on a double track) and Libbey-Owens Ford (windshields loading into box cars on a double track).  Both of these facilities won't allow movements of the box cars as ramps are placed between the two rows of cars.  To protect the crews, I decided to create a blue flag situation.

To do this, I found some blue LEDs from a local business in NC.  http://led-switch.com/  I will use a toggle switch to turn these on at the beginning of the session.  When loading has completed (I will set a time), I will turn them off allowing the local crew to switch out the cars.  I think it will add some realism to the operations.

Ottawa Silica - looking north.  The four tracks on the left are the loading tracks.  There will be two tracks that run up between the loading building (paper under the four tracks) and the long drying building.  Another track goes to the right behind the drying building and curves back to the left where it breaks out into two tracks for loading bagged sand into box cars.

Libbey-Owens-Ford - looking south.  The left track next to the large silos will be for unloading sand.  Middle track is for run-around moves.  Ottawa Avenue crosses over the tracks at the bottom of the photo.

I painted two of the cardboard tubes the other day.  I think it looks pretty good.  I'll paint the rest later.  With some weathering, they should look good.

The track branches off to the right and then again.  The left of these tracks is the unloading tracks for soda ash.  The right track will split into two tracks for loading of automobile windshields.

An overlook of the Ottawa Silica and Libbey-Owens-Ford plants (looking south).




1 comment: