Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Progress Report 11.30.10

Progress has been slow on the layout since the inaugural operation session.  CRI&P crews were sent down to Indian Land, SC this past weekend to assist in the construction of the Lehigh & Hudson River Railroad.

I have worked on a few turnout linkages that we posing some issues.  I removed all the slide switch linkages on the ladder in Davenport Yard and one on the crossover at West Davenport.  All but one have been re-installed paying close attention to the quality of the throw for each turnout.  I tested thoroughly with long strings of various equipment type with improved success.  Everything seems to work much better now.  Although, I continue to experience issues with my Intermountain cars.  For such a high quality car, I'm surprised by the numerous issues.

I have a few short terms goals that I hope to complete before Christmas.

#1) add weight to the individual freight cars to meet National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) specs. 

#2) solder feeder wires in Davenport Industrial Park

#3) solder the slide switch feeder wires

I have created some expansion plans for Stockdale, but I have learned there is a national shortage on #5 Right Hand turnouts.  Go figure. 

This evening I implemented solo op sessions.  I will operate the layout in sequence a little each evening until I work through each job.  This will provide a better understanding on the jobs on the railroad plus give me a chance to observe traffic flow on this second session.