Scenery Dept Update
The creek under Ottawa Yard dried, but the Liquitex shrunk some leaving a big dry void in the middle of the creek. I applied more two days ago. It is still drying currently.
Signal Dept Update
Signals are expected to arrive by mid-January. I did create a panel using a spare piece of luan. I screwed down terminal strips so I can keep everything straight when I wire it up. Here's photos.
Last night, I cleaned off everything in the vicinity of Ottawa Yard as I will be turning my attention to that in the near future. The final order of custom built turnouts is shipping Monday. It's time to finish the trackwork on this layout!
Power Desk Report
Last night, I worked on installing the decoders in the two Pittsburgh & Lake Erie (P&LE) units. One went fine with no issues. It works great. The other I struggled with and had to take the frame apart. I put everything back together but the unit seems to be binding up. I took it apart three or four more times, with no luck. Finally, I got so frustrated, I just had to walk away. I'll try again tomorrow.
Power Desk Update
I re-visited the troubled P&LE loco. I checked all the potential issues suggested by my friend Allen, but everything seemed ok. I had no other choice but to take it completely apart. I took my time putting it all back together. This time it worked! No binding of the gears! I tweaked it a little more and then speed matched it to the second unit that was a little faster.
Feeling good and having the laptop upstairs at the time, I decided to research why the headlights on a consisted set (two or more locos coupled together to act as one) would not reverse properly to the rear unit. Only the front and rear headlight on the front loco would work. I wanted the rear loco headlight to come on when I placed the consist in reverse. I found the answer was in the CV22 settings. Here's an article from TCS describing the issue and fix in great detail. I tried the tips and it worked great!
Track Dept Update
Feeling good from the successful locomotive repair, I cut and shaped two of the yard tracks this evening. I even ran the P&LE loco set down the length of one of the tracks (and across the creek). Pretty sweet!! I'm excited I'm nearly finished with trackwork and can get all the wiring done. I'm ready to run more trains!