Monday, November 30, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Speed Matching Locomotives

Some days, you wonder why you are even in the hobby.  I try to have nice stuff, but end up having issues with new locomotives right out of the box.  It can be very frustrating.

I'm having issues with a brand new Atlas GP30.  For some reason, it looses power for no reason.  It occurred for the first time tonight.  I just don't get it.

My Soo Line Kato SD40-2 has decided it doesn't want to negotiate the turns on the test track.  It seems to run well, but unsure what has changed.

Atlas Soo Line GP35 looses power, but headlight stays on (but can't turn it on or off).  It was running good and then BAM!  Nothing!  WTH?

The Bachmann locomotives run well, but I can't adjust the speed tables on the factory installed decoder.  We have been unable to find any other decoders that would work for it.

I noted which locomotives are paired already.  Most run pretty good (that are already paired).  For these random locomotive issues, I don't know what to do.

See the chart below where I documented speeds.

In other news, I have been cleaning the layout room, cleaning track and working on the locomotives as I operate again on Saturday.  Everything is ready to go.  I didn't accomplish near what I wanted to as I have been quite busy.


4 comments:

  1. That sounds very frustrating Karl. Sometimes the new Kato Locos trucks dislodge from the frame. Could be the issue with that. Others who knows. Hope you can solve the issues before your ops session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked on it some more this evening. I managed to get the Kato Soo SD40-2 working. I removed the truck and reassembled. All seems to be ok.

      The Atlas ICG GP30. I removed and reseated the DCC board. It seems to be functioning ok now.

      The Soo GP35 is still a lost cause for the moment.

      Delete
  2. At the risk of stating the obvious, Stephen, did you check that you don't have the GP35 dialled up on a second throttle? I once had a similar problem myself, and after spending ages trying to 'fix' the locomotive I discovered that I had it selected on a second throttle with the speed set to zero. Each time the system polled that throttle it would stop the loco.
    Regards,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm not mistaken, that is a non-issue on NCE, but did check just now to confirm no, it was not pulled up on another throttle. I found the unit has a NCE decoder in it. It must have had then when I received it. I haven't heard much good about the NCE decoders (even though I have a NCE system). I will try a Digitrax decoder which seems to work well in other locomotives. I'll post my findings. Thanks!

      Delete