Completed staging the layout tonight. I'm glad I started early as I found I needed a few more tabs for some industries as some cars for tomorrow's delivery move on the railroad today. I believe I have my head wrapped around the new operating plan. It's a change from the first session and more trains involved so I had to think about where cars are moving, when they arrive at yards, etc.
I updated the paperwork and crew instructions for the next op session.
Track Schematic of the layout including train schedule.
Instructions for Ottawa Local, Utica Local and Joliet Local
This evening, I began working on gathering cars up for staging the layout. Looking over the new operation plan, I'm quite pleased. This next op session should be a great one! There are many changes since the first op session:
Tab-on-Car - I'm trying a new car routing method that will be paperless. I'm curious to see how it will go.
LaSalle Staging Yard - I added a drop leaf staging yard that will allow me to run more trains during a session. The crew will have to dodge many more trains out on the mainline which should keep them on their toes.
Sand Job Changes - The crew will now start at Ottawa Yard, pull empties and weigh first, drop at the yard, then deliver the loads for all the customers. I will try running this local with one person this time as there is no paperwork to keep up with.
Utica Job Changes - Train will originate from LaSalle Yard to reduce congestion at Ottawa Yard.
Ottawa Yard Changes - The crew will now be busy throughout the day.
Filling empty car requests from the sand plant.
Classifying cars from the Joliet Turn that arrived during the night.
Working inbound Bureau Switcher (BUSW) and Soo Line Turn.
Passenger Service Returns - The Peoria Rocket will be seen traveling across the rails this session.
Speaking of donuts, I have set a date. We will operate again on September, 27th.
In other news, I gathered up the telephone poles to paint tonight.
Worked on Water Street tonight in Peru/LaSalle. Added some more power poles leading up to Peru Power. I need to spray paint all those and detail them up. One of the ROCK's blog fans is anxious to see power lines.
My goal is to work on scenery in this area.
Peru/LaSalle area behind the fascia.
New Water Street added parallel to the tracks.
New power poles added along the tracks up to Peru Power.
This morning, I started working on Water Street which runs in front of the Peru Power Plant. This evening, I worked on installing the last of the fascia on the layout. These pieces came from the old layout. I still need to fill in some gaps with putty and apply some new paint, but glad to have the fascia installed.
Looking West at the Westclox Plant.
I started with a base coat for Water Street that will run in front of the Peru Power Plant.
An overall view of the new fascia.
A view from LaSalle Yard (in the down position).
Another view of the tracks with better lighting than last night.
Tonight, I wired up the area for LaSalle Yard. I ran out of black and yellow (highly contrasting colors) feed wire. I had to use all green wire. I managed to wire it up without any issues except for one track. It was a quick fix though. Feeders at this location powers all the tracks fine between the turnouts and the end of the staging out on the drop leaf section.
My girls helped me test the Soo Line freight train that will run down to Ottawa Yard from Dubuque, IA. This isn't reality, but this is my world. What can I say?
Sorry for the blurry pic. Lighting in this area is bad at night.
My test Soo Line freight coming south (east on the Rock) headed to Ottawa Yard.
Over the weekend, I completed laying the remainder of the track for LaSalle Yard. The glue is drying tonight. I need to add feeders for the yard tracks near the yard ladder. I don't believe I will need feeders on the drop leaf section. When the drop leaf yard flips up, I slide the rail joiners down to connect to the yard tracks. It should make a good electrical contact. My usual wiring method consists of dropping feeders every three feet or so, or for any section of track between turnouts. I had never had any issues in the past doing it this way.
I was surprised tonight to learn that the four track LaSalle Staging Yard has a 64-car capacity. Not bad for a temporary section. This will help out with my op plan quite nicely.