Saturday, January 29, 2011

I love running trains!

It has been a while since I have run a train on the layout.  Actually, I believe the last time was before Christmas other than shuffling some motive power around in Davenport.  Watching the train snake through the newly developed towns was quite satisfying.  It is amazing how much Larry's structures add to the layout.  As I was running the train past the towns of the ROCK, I could visualize the future scenes.  Working on the layout can become mundane at times, but it is a source of great joy and satisfaction when I get to operate.

Maintenance issues:
I noticed two maintenance issues this evening.  Just like the real railroad, the track experienced a heat kink.  The heat from open vent above the layout was so hot that a piece of rail in the ovalix (of all places) kinked.  It doesn't appear to affect operation, so I will leave it be for now.  Hopefully as the temps cool back down with the vent closed and fan running, the rail will straighten back out.

The rail in this region will flex either to the right or left.  I was able to popped it back the other way which seems to work better in tests over the trackage.  I will have to impose a slow order over this region until the track realigns itself.

The other issue was with the benchwork at West Bureau.  There was a joint that was somewhat suspect to begin with.  Being located in the same region as the rail kink under the heat vent, I'm not really surprised to find a problem there.  The lumber had dried out and warped up.  I secured the benchwork joint to the wall and re-evaluated.  It appears that all is good now. I inspected the rest of the layout to find no other issues.

This evening, I lined up the locomotive fleet and consisted together as one.  This would serve as a test to match up similar locomotive operating speeds. 

The motive power is mostly staged for the next operating session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment