Sunday, December 4, 2011

Wind of Change Once Again on the ROCK

After nearly completing running the solo op session for probably the sixth or seventh time now,  I must say, I'm very pleased with 95% of the layout.  I would say that the only thing that just doesn't sit right with me is West Blue Island.  The east side with the street running is awesome.  The only thing I would consider changing is the addition of a turnout to get from the old yard to the mainline on the left side of downtown (currently there is a crossover by C-5 Tower on the right side of downtown).

Now, the right or west side of town seems like a poor use of real estate to me.  It's very confusing for operators and just ho-hum regarding scenic possibilities.  It doesn't scream Chicago or urban industrial switching.  I stared at the area for over an hour tonight.  Moving buildings and using leftover wall kits from other projects allowed me to envision something new for the area.  I have my ideas down on paper, but would like to run various scenarios through my head.  I'm positive that there will be change though.  It's just a matter of what and when.

I called Harley Smith of Smith & Sons Ballast to check on the status of the ballast trains.  The ballast order has been delayed two months or so due to a minor injury that Harley is allowing to heal before resuming work. We hope that Harley has a speedy recovery. 

My goals for December is to complete the solo op session and photography of the layout, finalize my plan for West Blue Island and then shut everything down until after Christmas. 

In first quarter 2012, I expect to kick scenery into high gear.  I'll probably operate again around early March.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment