Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ovalix to Nolix?

It could be the medication, but I have considered thoughts of removing the ovalix on the layout.  In place, I would like to make enough of a run on a straight grade so that I could reach the height of the second level, but also add two key towns that the layout is missing between Bureau and Ottawa: Peru/LaSalle and Utica.  This would give me the ability to accurately model the flair of the Rock Island with their extensive silica business.

The question is how to do it?  I have 14" of elevation I need to make up.  I have an area originally roped off as the "children zone" for watching tv.  I'm wondering if that area can be moved or re-purposed since a flat screen is now in place.

Engineers are on site taking notes and discussing with chief engineers of two other railroads.  They hope to come up with a feasible plan that will benefit all.


.

2 comments:

  1. Can you give the flair of the tonws on a 6"-8" shelf that wouldn't impeded too much into the area? And how much of a run would you have? You'd need almost 60' of trackage for a straight 2% grade, but your towns would probably have some flat area for car situating so it would probably be longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I could give a decent representation of the towns using industrial spurs with just the building fronts on a 6" to 8" area. For the run, I'm not sure yet as I haven't measured it off. I seriously doubt I have 60' of length though.

    ReplyDelete