This evening, I was "playing with the trains" as my mom says running a test grain train back and forth across the layout. For the next session, I was planning to have a unit grain train run from Silvis (inbound from Iowa) to Chicago. I decided to yard the train and have some of the traffic come from the local pickups. This way the newly appointed yardmaster can assemble the train and find a crew to send to Chicago. It provides some operating interest for the yardmaster. This opens up some new ideas for me. Outbound loads from the grain elevators may be collected over a few op sessions and then sent out on a unit train vs. simply staging a unit train that magically appeared during the night.
I was thinking I need to create another pre-session To Do list. I do much better if I have a list to motivate me to complete tasks. So, without further ado, here we go:
1) Complete base scenery between Peru and LaSalle, IL
2) Complete base scenery in West Bureau, IL
3) Complete base scenery between Utica and Ottawa, IL
4) Complete base scenery between Ottawa and Joliet Grain Co.
* This should complete all base scenery on the layout.
5) Ballast the section between LaSalle and Utica, IL
6) Figure out an appropriate color for the pond by Franklin Farms so that it doesn't look like a nuclear waste dump! Pour Mod Podge to create lake scene.
7) Plant all trees in my possession
8) Continue ballasting where I can.
9) Work on large Westclox building
That should be more than enough to keep me busy for a while.