Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rock Island v.2.0 - A Track Plan

So, I laid out the scale Ottawa Silica drawings the other day.  The plant was huge!  I was wondering with modification, would the ROCK 2.0 actually work in the room size.  So, I drew out a drawing using some measurements for track spacing, curves, turnbacks, turnout lengths, etc. from the current layout.

The room is 16'3" by 13'.  I believe this would work providing ample aisle space for operators to maneuver about without blacking out from "sucking it in" to get by.  I'm thinking in reality, I could trim up the space around Belrose Silica and PQ to provide more room in the aisle way there.

The layout would be single level, no steep grades, 48" or so bench height which would work well with bar stools for operators to sit while operating.

I like everything on the plan so far except maybe making some changes around Peru Power and Westclox. There seems to be a lot of waste space here.  I would really like to have the Maze Lumber Plant as well.

 
A list of industries and available spots:
 
Peru/LaSalle:
Peru Power & Light - 5 Coal Hoppers, 1 Transformer
Westclox - 6 40' Box Cars
 
Utica
Belrose Silica - 12 sand hoppers
Philadelphia Quartz - 10 sand hoppers, 2 salt covered hoppers, 7 tank cars, 4 chemical covered hoppers
 
Ottawa
Ottawa Silica - 40 sand hoppers, 10 box cars
Libbey-Owens-Ford - 10 sand hoppers, 10 box cars, 5 soda ash/dolomite covered hoppers
 
A total of 122 spots on the layout.  There would be two jobs: 217 Ottawa Local, 118 LaSalle Local plus possibly a yardmaster at Ottawa.  Add in a crew to run through trains out of the staging yard and I believe you could operate with 4-5 people.
 
What do you guys think?  Please feel free to comment with any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment