Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Rock 2.0 - Planning for the Future

No progress today, but I have been pondering some construction issues that I will face soon.  Thanks to Allen in Nebraska for helping hash out some of these ideas.

Basic Benchwork:
I will create 1x4 boxes supported by 2x4 legs.  At Ottawa Yard, Ottawa Silica/LOF Peninsula and Utica I will use ½” plywood and build up hills and bluffs with Styrofoam.

Between the aforementioned locations, I will have open grid work with ½” plywood subroadbed supported on 1x4 risers.

I will connect the feeder wires to the bus wires using suitcase connectors.  I’ve heard about these in the past and would like to try them this time.  They are neater and involve less burning flesh from soldering up above your head.  

Rail height on the benchwork will be between 50"- 52".  I'm 5'8" for reference.

Trackwork:
I will use cork roadbed on the double track mainline only.  All yard and industrial track will be glued direct to the subroadbed.

I will used Micro Engineering Code 55 Flex track along with custom built turnouts using Atlas Code 55 rail.

I will handlay the gauntlet tracks for both scale tracks at Ottawa Silica and Belrose Silica.

Dispatching/Operations
Signals will control the interlocking of the Rock Island and Burlington Northern at Ottawa.

The mainline will be governed by Track Warrant Control.  



No comments:

Post a Comment