Sunday, July 14, 2013

The ROCK 2.0 - Paint Complete!

My wife Carrie helped me paint Saturday.  Hats off to Valspar Paint.  The primer and signature paint did well covering the red in one coat.

The room is definitely brighter now.  We will remove the window coverings in the room to replace ones broken in the girls' room.  We will replace with Gila Window film.  We used this on some windows downstairs with great results.  This will cut down on heat while still allowing light in the room.




I'm very happy to have this behind me.  I used to paint a lot, but it really does a number on my hands now.  I just don't care for it anymore.  A special thanks to Carrie for all her hard work this weekend with the project.

7 comments:

  1. I love following your progress on your layout recreating my home town railroad. Here is a link to my Flickr account CSX New Rock set even though my shots are post Rock Island maybe you can find some inspiration

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31349456@N07/sets/72157618756280966/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome stuff! Thanks for the link! By chance, do you have photos of the rail activity around the L-O-F plant?

      Thanks for your interest in the blog! I'm looking forward to construction now.

      Steven

      Delete
    2. I am a little lost by your abbreviation what is the L-O-F plant?

      Delete
    3. Libbey-Owens-Ford plant. It's called Pilkington Glass now.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libbey%E2%80%93Owens%E2%80%93Ford

      Delete
  2. Ok now I know what you mean. That is by the river on a spur in a little berg called Naplate south of the main sand pit with one of the highest cancer rates in Illinois.I never shot any jobs working there. In Ottawa in your era the pit was served jointly by the Rock Island and BN. BN has a line into the pit area which is still there and today run by the Illinois Railway a Omnitrak company. My dad was a Rock Island hogger between Chicago and Silvis or Peoria . He usually stayed on jobs close to home like Blue island or Joliet but was on occasions forced out Ottawa Utica Depue or LaSalle Seneca Morris for vacation vacancies of the extra board. All those towns had switch engine jobs in RI days.He told me a story of going down that spur to switch that plant pulling cars with a switch engine and he could see the cars start derailing and laying on their sides about ten back from the engine like dominoes one at a time . I have some old time books with engine numbers he used at Ottawa if you are interested I can see about digging that stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool stuff. Yes, I would be interested if not too much trouble.

      Delete
  3. Oh and no I am sorry no pics down that way

    ReplyDelete