Sunday, November 3, 2013

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 11.03.13 - Gantlet Track Installed!

I worked on the layout at various times throughout the weekend.

Saturday, I glued the trackage for the through track, run around track and gantlet track at Ottawa Silica.  While that was drying, I worked on creating Ottawa Avenue that runs between Ottawa Silica and Libbey-Owens-Ford.  I used .060" x .060' square styrene strips as borders for the road.  I filled with plaster.  I will go back and fill in some more as well as sand the road before painting.  I also got out a few details to see how the scene will look.  I'm excited and more than ready to start on scenery.

Sunday, I briefly worked on the layout.  I broke the turnout bar hole (ripping it completely out) when installing the ground throw Saturday (upon gluing it down).  Uggh...  Using a new bit, I drilled a new pilot hole for the ground throw and reamed it out in place.  I was worried about this since the gantlet track was glued down, but all worked out ok.

Here are quite a few photos and some video of the progress.

The styrene strips in place to construct Ottawa Avenue.

Gates up!

Atlas Signal Box - A detail part I picked up recently.  My goal is to be more detail oriented on 3.0.

Ottawa Avenue with the first coat of plaster laid down and a few accessories.

The much anticipated Scale Track.  It's not the highest quality of work as the turnouts I'm receiving off eBay, but I'm very pleased with it.  I think it looks really nice and functions well.

Some sand hoppers lined up to be weighed.

The points are fine.

The Boulder Creek Engineering WeighStation installed. 

This will be a common site on the layout.

Looking south.

Looking south.

I created a concrete pad out of styrene and painted with Floquil spray bomb concrete color.

My companion Lily the cat that often comes to sit with me while working on the layout.


An overview of the completed track in Ottawa Silica (looking north).  I still need to complete the track behind the plant (to the right), but waiting on a right-hand turnout.

Another view looking north.  You can see the scale track on the right side.

A road crossing that will be installed for trucks entering the Ottawa Silica Plant.


And the video as requested by some readers.

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Steven, Just pure sweetness on the scale and gauntlet track! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allen! I'm pretty excited, but now you have me thinking about a defect detector. I'm researching the RI timetable now.

      Delete