Thursday, February 20, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 02.20.14 - Operating Crossing Signals

Well, flashback to yesterday.  I worked on the signal bridge again.  Again, two sets of signals working perfectly, two problematic.  There appears to be a short somewhere as one of the signals flickers if I move the wire.  I need to pull out the wires and try routing them a different way.  The wires must be rubbing up against the signal bridge.  I was getting frustrated again so, I walked away.

Hell bent determined to get something to light up on the layout, I moved to installing the blue flags at LOF.  That went well and they look great.  Just enough to know they are there, but not overpowering like my initial tests a couple months back.  Of course, I have learned about resistors now.  All I need to do is install the toggle switch to control power to the lights.  I'm waiting for that to arrive tomorrow.  At least one set will be complete at LOF.  I have yet to install the other sets at Ottawa Silica and Westclox.

This evening, continuing with my obsession of tiny LED lights, I broke out the instructions for the crossing gate signals.  I decided to go with Azatrax MXR2 for the signal control and NJ International for the crossing gates.  The instructions provided by Azatrax were super easy to follow.  

Detection is activated using pairs of Infrared (IR) detectors.  There are a couple of ways you can wire it up.  The system requires a minimum of two IR detectors (one on each side of the crossing) and can go up to six detectors.  Since the crossing at Ottawa Avenue is in a low-speed industrial area, I went with just a single detector on each side of the crossing.  

Now, you must decide if you want to install the detectors between the ties using a reflection method or across the track detection.  I chose across the track detection as on either side of the grade crossing the track opens up to numerous other tracks.  To install in between the ties would have required numerous sets of detectors.  It seemed easier for me to go across the track method and I could easily hide the detectors in buildings.  One sensor is more out in the open but will be blocked by trees and brush from the operators vantage point.  Drilled a hole and dropped the sensors in the benchwork.  Aimed them and wired up to the control board.  Tested with no issues.

Sensor hidden in the window of the sand receiving LOF office.

Sensor hidden in the guard house for Ottawa Silica.

Sensor hidden in the storage shed for the maintenance department at Ottawa Silica.

I then connected the wires from the crossing signals.  The NJ International signals have three wires.  One for each signal light and a common wire.  They are nice enough to include the proper resistors with the crossing signals.  Connected the wires to the signal controller and tested.  Heck yeah it worked the first time!  Now that's a good day!  Very awesome!  I'm super excited over this.  I still have to install the tortoise switch machines under the layout to control the crossing arms, but getting them to light via IR detection is awesome!



And video....

I apologize for the speed of the cars.  My daughters were assisting me by manually pushing a cut of cars across the road crossing.


The only thing I don't like and can't find a way to change is the length of time they lights continue to flash after the train clears the last sensor.  I have emailed John at Azatrax.  Hopefully, I can make a change to lower this time.



3 comments:

  1. Steven, those cross bucks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Like you ideas for sensor locations. It looks like that Azatrax sensor system has a good effective range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the manual said they would work up to 15", but possibly more if aligned properly. They seem to do really well for me.

      Delete