Sunday, April 6, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 04.05 - 04.06.14

Saturday ~

This evening, I worked on measuring various widths of PVC pipe to make some chemical storage tanks/silos for the industries on the layout.  I will cut them all tomorrow.

I found four turnouts with broken points this evening.  I repaired one.


Sunday ~

I cut the PVC pipe pieces, and repaired four more (one turnout had two broken points) turnouts.

Here are pics of the PVC pipes in place.  They will need tops made of styrene cut and paint.












2 comments:

  1. Hi Steven,
    I follow your progress...pretty quick! Congratulations on your new layout. Regarding your turnouts, I have about a dozen Atlas code 55 that have broken at the points too. About 1/4" from the end of the point. All of them and all on the same rail. I have friends with the same issues. I called Atlas and they said we installed them incorrectly! Seriously!! I think we should take this further and have Atlas replace or refund. If you are interested in exploring this, please contact me at 310-344-9145 or CPRXmodelRR@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are not Atlas. Mine was custom built by a guy on eBay. Great turnouts, but he tinned the bottom of the point rails. There is very little solder holding them to the PC board. With temperature fluctuations during the day, they are popping off. I have been resoldering them with no issue (I have done so many now, I can do it pretty quickly). It's just a pain in the butt. Sorry to hear about the Atlas ones. Their quality has not been good the past few years. Even if you order all your turnouts in the same batch, there is no telling how many good ones you will receive.

      Delete