Sunday, July 27, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: The Peoria Rocket Returns - Bankruptcy Blue Returns to the Layout

I'm working on adding staging west of LaSalle.  This will give me more operating freedom to bring back a passenger train.  I'm happy to report that the Peoria Rocket will be riding the rails on my layout again.  I considered modeling the Quad Cities Rocket, but that train is scheduled to go through my area before and after I start/end my operating day.

I have always liked the silver side passenger cars and wanted to run them, but the ones manufactured by Walthers are horrible.  They derail going straight!  I decided to go with a Kato Chicago, Burlington & Quincy set and re-letter for the Rock Island.  The cars arrived yesterday and they perform quite well!

The Peoria Rocket will be led by a custom paint Kato E8 unit in the red/yellow Billboard Logo paint scheme.  It will pull two coaches #306 Ottawa, #300 LaSalle plus the #450 Peoria dome car.  It will be exciting to see passengers headed to and from Chicago again.  I'm sure the crews will start complaining about those darn passenger trains again.  :-)




On the original version of my layout, I had a pair of Life-Like GP38-2s.  They were demon possessed and didn't work well. They sat parked more than they ever ran.  I used them to stage some photos in the Day on the Rock photo series a long time ago.  I got rid of them a while back because they were so troublesome.  

I'm happy to report that the locomotives have returned to the layout.  Life-Like version again?  Heck no!  Atlas GP38-2s!  Now, one of my own and one lease unit from a friend.  I will replace the lease unit with a Bankruptcy ("Boom Time") Blue GP40 when Atlas releases them later this year (hoping Atlas stays on schedule).  I really like the paint scheme and am happy for their return.  I got the decoders installed Friday and tested.  Here are some photos.

The "Boom Time" Blue locomotives pulling a cut of loaded hoppers from Ottawa Silica.

The RI #4304 Leased to the Rock: Illinois Division.

The locomotives pulling across Ottawa Ave.
Is that a red bug I see?

My new #4303 GP38-2 crossing Mill Street in Utica.


A favorite car of mine - the GM&O 40' Box Car custom weathered by Allen Heimsoth.





No comments:

Post a Comment