Friday, July 11, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: Staging Yard Possibilities

I typed this up quite a while back but never posted.  I have been working on scenarios in my head of how to add staging west of LaSalle.  Since this time, I discussed with a few local model railroaders.  The idea of a temporary staging yard cassette that would attach to the end of the layout when operating seemed to be the most feasible idea (and less obtrusive overall).  

Luckily enough, my friend Steve H had just this (a staging yard cassette) that he no longer needed.  So, now, I'm in the process of testing to see if it will work and what modifications would be required to the layout.    More to come in follow-up post.


------------------------------------

After running the first op session, I found that I wasn't happy with one thing.  I had to stop the westbound train and take it off the layout as the westbound freight arrived at LaSalle.  It was mainly due to the end of the freight train was back across Mill Street so it just didn't look good.  Majority of the off layout traffic moves west.  I also had an eastbound train that I had to place on the layout.  Again, the front end was past Mill St before I managed to get all the cars on.  A staging yard at this end would be a nice addition, but I'm not sure how or if it can be done.  It would allow for the trains to go through the entire scene I completed.  I don't have much railroad, but would really like to see a train go through what I did create.

Here's my track plan again.


Option 1:
Go through the linen closet and back side of master bedroom closet.  This would provide ideal space for a staging yard, but has many challenges.

1) four holes in the wall. 
2) a lift out section would need to be created in the linen closet to provide access to the shelves between op sessions.
3) The clothes hanger bar for my clothes would need to be move forward by 4".  
4) Most likely plan to meet opposition by other people in the house.


Option 2:
Build a temporary staging yard that would extend out over the staircase 1/2 wall.

Challenges
1) cuts off access up/down stairs.



Option 3:
Create a temporary staging yard that would curve the staging yard to the left to go across the staircase 1/2 wall up to the door for the master bedroom.

Challenges
1) Only would block access to the master bedroom.  Not as bad as that would probably work ok during an op session.  The only thing I worry about is the tight radius onto the 1/2 wall.
2) Again, where to store this when not in use.




Option 4:
Curve the mainline to the right to go under the Storage Shelf with the flat screen TV.  

Challenges
1) It would completely kill my Westclox scene as the tracks would have to be realigned shortly after Mill St to make the turn under the shelf.  This is one of my signature RI scenes and I'm not quick to compromise on this.
2) The TV height now is perfect.  To raise it higher would be too much.  I'm unable to lower the shelf any due to the railroad signs below (no other place to relocate them either).



2 comments:

  1. You know I think option three would be the best choice to try.
    I would think the "tight radius" could be broadened out a bit. This might mean that Steve's cassette may not work and one may have to be constructed.
    As for storage, I think there might be several places that would work. Could it be placed above the door on the wall on the inside of the layout room? What about the basement? The hall closet standing vertical?

    Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storage doesn't seem to be a problem. Steve's cassette just stands up on end in the corner of the room now. I think his will work although it will limit use of the stairway during the op session. That is a minor problem, but I think we can work around it.

      Delete