Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Signal Dept Update

Word on the street is that the signal department is planning some upgrades to the Mill Street and Putnam Street crossings.  The other day, I found the crossing gates at Mill Street damaged.  I'm still not quite sure how this occurred.  I'm assuming the kids, but no telling.  There is a small chance it was the cat, but I have only found evidence of her on the layout once (that was version one) and that was the last time.

Anywho, the signal department crew was able to repair it this evening.  This signal was not wired up, so I decided to modify it.  I removed the gates and will place in the yard as a scenic detail around the yard office.  Why, you might ask?  Well, getting one of these crossing gate sets to operate correctly using the tortoise switch machines underneath the benchwork is a bear of a job.  It is enough to make you leave the hobby.  I got lucky on the first set.  I don't want to push my luck.

Here is my Ottawa Ave crossing if you haven't seen it before.  I don't know what that is built up on the side of the signal.  I didn't even notice it until I posted the video.  I'm assuming that is from the static grass project.  The macro lens picks up everything!



I will use the modified flashing crossbucks only with no arms at Putnam Street.



Mill Street will receive an over-the-road signal with no gates from NJ International.


I'm using the Azatrax MRX2 Flashing Controller as I have with the Ottawa Ave grade crossing.  It is a great product and John Parsons provides fast service and excellent support. https://www.azatrax.com/controller.html


Car Dept Report
I continued working on adding new cars and removing old cars that will be sold off.  The cars needed weight added, low profile wheels added, etc.  

Farm Report
I looked for the plowed fields that I have for adding to Franklin Farms, but couldn't find them anywhere.  Wait!  I think I just had an epiphany.  BRB................  Found it!  Well, that gives me something to work on tomorrow evening.






No comments:

Post a Comment