Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: New Crew Instructions & Static Grass Update

Today, I wrote up new crew instructions in the format used at the CR&E this last session.  It seemed to work well and alleviate any confusion on what is expected of the crews.

The Ottawa Yardmaster's instructions are the most complex, but easy to follow (I feel).  See below:





Static Grass Project 
This evening, I hit the static grass hard applying to areas in front of Ottawa Yard, along the back of mainline (between the farm fields and mainline), and in front of Ottawa Silica Bagged Sand loading tracks.  I used a homemade static grass applicator and Silflor 6mm autumn color.  I like the the Silflor brand much better than Woodland Scenics.  It seems to work better overall.  I have also noticed that applying static grass is much easier when it is cold.  If it has been raining a lot, it doesn't want to stand up properly.

East Ottawa Yard lead / Ottawa Silica Bagged Sand Loading Tracks (Before Static Grass)

Ottawa Yard (Before Static Grass)

North of Ottawa Yard (Before Static Grass)

I emptied out the yard before starting.

The mainline got busy though as the cars were relocated from the yard.

Trains everywhere!

I paint the area doo-doo brown for the soil before applying the static grass.

The homemade "Grassinator" by Steve Holzheimer on loan.  I have given it a workout on my layout.

Static grass added in front of the Ottawa Silica Bagged Sand Loading tracks.

I applied the grass closer to the Ottawa Yard lead.  This will be more overgrown when it is all said and done with.  I also added some bushes between the yard lead track (left) and South Ottawa lead right.

Another view of the yard lead and mainline.

A view of the static grass on the south end of Ottawa Yard (to the left)

Another view of the same.

Static grass was also added on the north end (across the tracks)

More bushes and overgrowth was added around the creek that runs under the yard.

Static grass and bushes were added between the mainline and the farm fields north of the yard.

Looking east at Ottawa Yard.  

More overgrowth was added around the back end of the yard.

When moving cars back to the yard, I failed to hit reverse.  I managed to shove the cut of cars down to the end of the mainline.  Luckily the caboose got caught on the rail and didn't plunge along with half the string.

Signal Dept Update
My signals at the west end of Ottawa Yard have been flaky.  I need to re-wire them as I made a mistake on the control board during the original installation.  This evening, they were acting crazy and half the aspects were not lit.  I troubleshooted and repaired all those for now.  I believe after the op session, I will focus more on signals and try to get that project completely finished.

Track Repair Update
I found another broken point.  This is one I repaired, but I'm not surprised it broke loose.  It really didn't have enough solder on it.  I tried repairing with my battery powered soldering iron.  It works well (if you have good batteries).  When they get weak, it doesn't work near as well.  The batteries were very weak tonight and my re-supply from Amazon hasn't arrived yet due to the inclement weather.  I managed to make it work, but it was frustrating this evening.

A lot is getting done on the layout.  I'm trying to think what else I can knock out before the end of this weekend.  Next week will be spent cleaning track and making final preparations.











4 comments:

  1. Damn son! What type of fertilizer did you put down?
    Looking good Steven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to add more greenery before this next session. Time is running out!

      Delete
  2. That grass looks great! I'm sure you're glad to see some green instead of the plywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need ballast next, but I absolutely hate that job!

      Delete