Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Ottawa Yard Work

This evening, I pulled everything out Ottawa Yard to perform some work.

First off, I found a broken turnout point on the east end ladder.  I repaired that and commenced in moving all the freight cars down to South Ottawa.  It looked pretty impressive with a 35-car train snaking its way south out of the yard.  When working on that, I noticed a broken turnout point on the west end ladder.  Sweet Lord!  I hate broken turnout points!  I repaired that as well.  At least that didn't occur during the operating session.

I noticed the Micro Engineering turnout for access to Track 2 in the yard was acting up again.  My temporary fix was just that....temporary.  I need to replace that turnout.

I then took a look at track four that was reported without power during the op session.  I found a loose wire connected to the bus.  That was a quick fix.

Once all the track repair issues were resolved (minus the turnout replacement), I began work on ballasting the yard.  I came across this photo posted to Facebook from Railpictures.net.  I would like my yard to look like this.


Ottawa Yard Empty - Looking West

Ottawa Yard Empty - Looking East

Materials on hand for this project

My first attempt.  I'm not really pleased with this.  I think I need to try again.

I'm not particularly pleased with this.  It doesn't look like the photo.

I see from this angle (only accessible from the phone) that I have too much ballast and grass piled up along the track.

Well, attempt #1.  I will try again.

My photo inspiration of what I want Ottawa yard to look like.



2 comments:

  1. Steven. Try some tile grout instead of ballast. It works a treat and is very much finer and comes in a good range of colours. I used stone dust also and it is very file. it is a product that our concrete guys trowel on top of freshly laid cement then trowel with a steel float to get a very smooth shinny surface. It is very fine a looks great in yards like yours. Might be worth a shot.
    Have fun.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check that out. Thanks for the suggestion Rod!

      Delete