Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Expansion

So, today I have been pondering the expansion of the layout.  As much as I want to expand the layout into the guest bedroom, we just have too much stuff in our house as it now.  So, I don't see that happening.  It would have been nice to add a fifth operator, but that will just have to wait to another time and another place.

Last night I was up late cleaning up the layout room for some family coming in over the next several weeks.  I quickly realized I have too much crap.  I will be listing quite a few things on eBay over the next few weeks.  Feel free to check out my auctions as my ID is atlittle.  

Returning to the reality that my layout is limited in distance, I thought what if I expanded just out to Bureau Junction.  I think it would add more variety to the jobs and ensure a solid four person crew required to operate.  Currently, the fourth person (me) is more of a pseudo position of merely running short distance trains back and forth.

So, let's look at the challenges and benefits of a Bureau Junction only expansion.

Trains Operated:
OTSW - Ottawa Sand Job Switcher would operate as normal.  (Operator 1 would operate this the entire session)

UTSW - Utica Chemical Job Switcher would depart after the arrival of the #113 Joliet to Bureau Turn.  It would originate as LaSalle Yard as in previous sessions.  (Operator 2)

Peoria Rocket - would start at Bureau Junction on the Peoria Branch.  Make station stops at Bureau, Utica and terminate at Ottawa.  This train would be run by the same crew that operates UTSW. (Operator 2)

#113 Joliet to Bureau Turn - would originate in East Staging.  It would work Ottawa Yard, LaSalle Yard, Bureau Junction and return delivering any cars to LaSalle and Ottawa on the return trip.  This train would incur the biggest changes as currently it just works Ottawa and terminates in LaSalle (west staging).  It would model the movement of traffic between the towns like I want to reproduce.  (Operator 3)

Soo Local - would originate at Bureau Junction on one of the main tracks (most likely staged after the lunch break).   It would operate from Bureau Junction to Ottawa and return.  It would not work LaSalle Yard.  (Operator 3)

Ottawa Yard Job - same duties as before but car routings would change slightly.  Strong limits would be set on the number of cars that can be added to #113 due to storage track limits).  (Operator 4)

GTW Unit Sand Train - most likely replaced by #217 Blue Island to Ottawa Sand.  This train would be run as required but most likely very session.  It would bring empties to Ottawa from East Staging, layover in Ottawa and return later with sand loads to be distributed to the east.  (Operator 5)

Benefits:
Longer run for the road locals and passenger trains.  More prototypical flow of car traffic on the layout.  

Challenges:
Constructing an extension to the layout that is lightweight but solid to extend the layout.  Must be able to lift into place and drop legs.  Can be up against the wall but not attached.  A short lift out section would have to be created to remove when traveling downstairs during the session lunch break and when visitors arrive/depart.  Another drop leaf section would have to be created (much like LaSalle Yard) for the Peoria Branch lead and storage track.  I don't think this will be bad as I have already achieved this type construction at LaSalle Yard.  Oh, and run power connectors at the end of each section to connect to the next section.

So, this is what I'm challenged with.  Now, to make it all work.

Track Plan:
Here is the revised track plan I drew up today.  I would have to add a second ladder to the yard at LaSalle Yard (stud end yard currently).  There would be a Silvis Storage Track and Peoria Storage track at Bureau like the prototype.  The local would have at minimum a two locomotive spots lead past both storage tracks.




No comments:

Post a Comment