Thursday, March 3, 2011

Progress Report 03.03.11

I worked on the CNW GP7 that had a reported high coupler.  I found the problem to be the shell sitting too high on the frame due to excess wires from the decoder.  Straightened out the wires and taped them down.  The shell sits correctly now, but the frame is very tight in the shell.  I can get it to run quietly after working with it for a bit, but when I put the fuel tank on it makes all sorts of racket.  I worked on it for quite a while.  I have it running ok, but still kind of loud.  The loco hasn't left the shops yet.  Hopefully I can figure out this mystery and send the locomotive back home to Clinton, IA.

Checked the RS2 #450/452 pair used on the Peoria Local as Jeff had reported that the wheels might be out of gauge (due to derailments on a few turnouts).  I checked the wheels to find them in gauge.  I tested through all the turnouts in Davenport.  Majority of the turnouts had no problems.  I did find problems with the Davenport West A/D track turnout, Main #2 at the double crossover at West Davenport and the switch in the Davenport Industrial Park for the Davenport Freight House.  All turnouts were adjusted (bent the point rail some) and tested.  All seem to work fine with no issues.

I'm still debating on what to do regarding the coupler conversion issue.  I have been researching McHenry couplers.  They seem to be good, but I don't know many people who are using them extensively.

No comments:

Post a Comment