Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Solo Op Session Notes 05.18.11

Started my solo op session.  It is much like a regular op session just in slow motion.  I ran the Stockdale local today.  Wow!  It was quite a chore even without having to dodge 1st Class passenger trains or the Grain train that always seems to meet the local in Stockdale.  I have a new respect for my crews.  They have it rough out in the field.

I'm hoping that the addition of a yardmaster at Davenport will allow the Extra Grain local to depart two hours earlier possibly preventing the meeting of the locals in Stockdale. 

I ran the XtrFE which made it to the siding at Joliet where it will meet XtrFW.  I implemented the changes to set offs/pickups in Davenport Yard utilizing the newly appointed Davenport Yardmaster.  The through freight pulled into the siding vs. the A/D track.  Instead of pulling its power into the yard to make its pickup/set offs (having to set off the various blocks in each corresponding track) it simply dropped the entire cut in the A/D track and picked up a cut of through East cars).  This significantly reduced the terminal time required for this train.  The yard job was then able to classify the blocks of cars received from the through freight.  Between preparing blocks for pickup by through freights, classifying inbound blocks and the Peoria/Grain locals, the yard crew should have plenty to keep them busy.

I'm looking forward to observing how the yard job pans out in my test solo op session.

No progress to report. simply doing some field research this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment