Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ballast

I have been researching various types of ballast.  I liked the texture of the Woodland Scenics cinders (had in stock to use for comparison) which appears to be different than their ballast line.  I wasn't pleased with either the fine or medium ballast by Woodland Scenics.  The ballast looked too big and didn't seem to spread to well.  My friend Larry brought me a sample of Smith & Son #50 Light Gray ballast.  This ballast spreads nicely and looks great. I definitely feel its the clear winner, but now what color to go with.  The light gray is viewed below.  My wife has cast a vote for the blended.  I'm curious as to how the dark gray would look. 

Left is #50 Smith & Sons Penn-Ohio Blend, right is Woodland Scenics fine

I prefer the Smith & Sons ballast as it doesn't sit up on the ties as with the Woodland Scenics.

A detail shot of the Smith & Sons ballast.

No comments:

Post a Comment