I believe I have found a solution for the problematic Proto GP38-2s. I'll be looking at re-powering those with Altas GP40 chassises.
Today, at lunch, I went to Home Depot to pick up some materials for a canopy over Ottawa to affix the 16ft LED light strip.
This evening, I began construction. It was pretty simple to build. The LED lights make a *huge* difference to the upper level. This was greatly needed last session as it was a cloudy day. All those sand hoppers begin to look alike on a good day much less on a day when you can't read the reporting marks clearly.
I will hopefully complete this project before the next op session. My plan is to go in a U-shape providing light along the walls of the upper level.
Below are before and after shots of the area as well as some detail shots of the canopy.
The upper level with the ceiling fan light fixture
My eyes are pretty good, but I can't read the reporting marks under this light.
The new assembly starts to go up. Two simple heavy duty steel bookshelf brackets turned upside down.
A 2x2 was screwed to the steel bracket.
A 1x3 was screwed to the 2x2. Later the 5mm luan fascia will be attached to the front. The LED light string was attached to the 2x2 hidden by the 1x3 and eventually the fascia.
Let there be light!
It appears much brighter on the upper level.
The lights are hidden behind the 1x3 avoiding a blinding glare for the more height challenged operators like myself.
Looking good! Ottawa has never looked so good in photos.
Wow! I can read the reporting marks! Most excellent!
A view from the cat cam looking up.
An overview of the area when you walk in the room.