Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Happy 3rd N Scale Anniversary!

Today, is my 3rd year anniversary of N scale.  It started with an email to my friends Marcus and Larry on Saturday, April 3rd before heading out to run some errands with the family.

Good morning boys...

Well, A.T. (my alternate persona) may need to check into the (Shady Rest) sanitarium on Larry's layout.  Please toot the horn when you pass as I will be the crazy on the bench.  I have been thinking about it more and more lately, but I'm actually considering a mass exodus from HO scale.  You read right....a conversion to N scale.  Not only have I gone certifiably crazy, I'm even considering changing eras.  After operating at Seth's and Larry's (and the P&W), I have gained a strong affection for railroads of yesteryear.  I really enjoyed the ops on the Peconic.  I think I would model the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific.  

I have been doing a little field research off and on.  I found that there is a plentiful selection of Rock Island locomotives and cars.  If I would do such a crazy thing, I think I would model the 60s/70s era.  U30Cs, GP7s, U25Bs, RS1s, RS3s.  Some would have to be purchased on eBay, but I'm sure they could be found over time.  Probably cheaper too.  

Now, what do you think is the feasibility of a double deck layout in a similar space as the existing HO layout?

Hmm...  I researched books yesterday.  I might need to place and order.  I need to read up the Rock Island.

This is far from official, but just throwing some ideas around.

A.T. (certifiable).  
No, this is not a late April 1st post either.


I was greeted with "open arms" to N scale by Larry and Marcus.  They fielded an onslaught of questions to get me started.  Seven days later, the first equipment was purchased (two Athearn weathered box cars from the Little Choo Choo Shop).  That afternoon, Marcus donated a Rock Island 3-Bay covered hopper to the layout.  It was the first ROCK equipment.

In three years time, I have come along ways with that crazy notion of converting to N scale.  Who would have ever thought?  As Larry said the other day "I guess the Shady Rest Sanitarium had one success story."  LOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment