Thursday, October 24, 2013

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 10.24.13

So, this evening, I eagerly enter the train room.  I armed with #68 drill bits, #0 x 3/4" wood screws, and Aleene's tacky glue.  I'm ready to lay some track!

Not so fast Kimosabe!

Problem #1 - What the collet?
I have a Dremel tool (or Dremel knock-off - I forget the brand - it's cheap) and a 205 pc accessory kit.  Surely, I won't have an issue finding a collet to hold the #68 drill bit.  Wrong!  Uggh...  So, resumed other family duties until the kids went to bed.  Ran out to Lowe's to pick up a collet that can handle a 1/32" shaft.

Problem #2 - Hole not big enough!
So, I attach the collet to my Dremel knock-off.  Success!  I drill the first hole in the turnout throw bar.  I go to test fit the Caboose Industries 222s Ground Throw into the hole.  It won't fit.  What the?  I look around, maybe they have a smaller diameter pin adapter.  Nope.  I read the back.  It requires a #58 hole!  *!@#$%!  "Model railroading is fun, model railroading is fun...."    

Problem #3 - #58 Size Hole on PC Board = Trouble
I never read the instructions on the back of the ground throws.  I went off by what my eBay guy stated he drilled (usually does, but not on this initial batch) for throw bars.  I look up the size of the #58 drill bit.  It's 11/1000ths of an inch difference.  For pete's sake!  I compare the ground throw pin against the PC board tie size on the turnout.  Wow!  I'm not sure I would be able to center a #58 bit on the tie without running off the edge of the tie (creating an open hole that would be useless).

Solution:
Maybe I should stick with the #68 bits and try to ream it out.  So, I tried this.  It worked without too much issue.  I went ahead and did this to the next turnout.  It also went off without a hitch.  Well, things are looking up.  I laid down a light layer of glue under the turnouts and heavier on the flex track in between the two turnouts.  I mounted the ground throws and added weight until the glue dries.  I gave everything a good ol' skunk eye to make sure it was in alignment.  It all looks good and the ground throws seem to function well.  The proof will be tomorrow when I go back to inspect.

So, it appears securing the trackwork to the benchwork will be a slow process that will take time and precision.  I have to remember this isn't a race.  I want quality over quantity.  So, once again the brakes are applied on this project as I need to take my time.  Remember Steven, taking your time now will create less problems later.

With all that being said, I was able to mount/install/whatever the two most northern turnouts of the Ottawa Silica plant.  I'll post photos tomorrow night.  After all that running around and trying to find solutions for issues, I was ready to call it a night.


4 comments:

  1. Man! I can't tell you how many times this happens to me. Glad I'm not alone.
    I felt like I was reading my own blog and got shivers down my spine with feelings of Déjà vu! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least we're in the same boat together. I was hoping to have so much more done this evening. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah... been there and definitely done THAT! The last full blown layout of my own required me to drill pilot holes for every piece of track I laid - the plywood subroadbed was so hard!

      All that was before the discovery of Aleene's Tacky Glue.

      Delete
    3. Aleene's Tacky Glue works well! I love it! I couldn't imagine drilling all those pilot holes for the track.

      Delete