Saturday, December 7, 2013

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 12.07.13

This morning, I drilled and stripped the remaining feeder wires for the track that is laid so far.

During the day, I had the pleasure of operating at a great friend Larry Keller's layout running trains on the Lehigh & Hudson River Railroad.  I had a great time as always.

This evening, I worked on soldering some feeder wires.  I wasn't planning on working for long, so I used the battery operated soldering iron.  It was slow going.  Tomorrow, I will have to get out my "flesh burner" corded soldering iron to make some real progress.

I attempted to use the suitcase connectors for the feeder wires to the bus wire, but I wasn't happy with them.  They are slow to connect and many times don't make a solid connection.  I ended up reverting back to my old ways of stripping back the bus wire and wrapping the feeders around it.  It's quick and simple.  I'll sell the unused suitcase connectors online.

I tested a locomotive on the track sections I completed tonight (PQ and Main 1 in Utica).  The locomotive was sluggish at first as it hadn't run in a long time.  Once I got it warmed up, it ran great with and just glided across the turnouts.  I was very pleased!

There was one issue where a ground throw was too close to the rail.  The springs on the locomotive trucks hit it.  I filed it back which resolved that issue.  Tomorrow, I hope to get going faster on soldering the feeder wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment