Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Window Sill Expansion Project Continued

I have two family members down sick with some sort of bug, and hoping not to get sick myself, but I'm still pushing forward in attempt to get this all done (my self inflicted crack induced To Do List) before my February 28th Op Session.

So, on to business....

Site Preparation Report:
Immediately upon finishing up the dishes after dinner, I rummaged around in the garage and found my orbital sander.  Up to the layout room!  I sanded down the benchwork where the former tracks laid to make a smooth surface to start with on the Window Sill Expansion Project.

Bob Ross Report:
Time to paint some happy trees!


Well, maybe not, but it was a nice thought.  I do have fond memories watching his PBS shows as a kid though.  Anywho, it is getting dark outside fast.  I removed the windows that were tack glued in to the LOF structure.  Went flying downstairs and back to the garage to find the spray paint.  My knee was feeling better today.

Would you like some Tab soda?

No thank you, I'll pass on the Tab.


I do need some more tabs though.  This evening, I spray painted some more Evergreen C-Channel #266 strips to make some blue GTW tabs for my unit sand train.  I will decal those tomorrow using a Brother Personal Touch Label Maker (black on clear labels at 3mm font size).



Here are the LOF building components that will be painted gray for the sheet metal siding.

Before.

After

After again.


Window Sill Project Update
So, while the paint dries, I'm back upstairs (I really should have purchased a single-level home).  I re-installed the gondola sand loading track (OS Spot #7 - formerly spot #8 before the dynamite track was removed).  Shaped, measured, cut, installed the turnout and track.  I added the track behind the LOF Milling building as mentioned in the previous post.  It has the capacity to hold ten sand hoppers back there which will work out well for crews working the job.


This was taken before I completed the track work.  I was distracted for a bit by my children and then came back to finish up the track going behind the plant.  It extends out about a car length behind the long milling building.

Slowed down for a bit to watch a couple of shows on Netflix.  

You be Smoking What Report?
So, Sunday, I get this email from my friend Allen in Nebraska.  He sends photos of this smokestack he made out PVC pipe.  I started foaming out the mouth.  It was pure awesomeness!  He has a blog post in the works (spoiler alert).  Stay tuned for some inspiring work by Allen.  

Anywho, all week I have been trying to make it to Lowes Hardware, but one thing or another has kept me at the office during my lunch break.  Today, I finally made it.  I picked up some 1/2" PVC pipe and a coupler of adapters.  Total material costs was under $5.  Basically, I just needed to create a base and the top part.  The stack at LOF that I plan on modeling has these little rings spaced out evenly the length of the stack.  Conveniently enough, the metal siding styrene sheet that I purchased comes with this tiny tiny strips of styrene.  I mentioned to Allen the other night, I think these will work perfectly for those rings on the stack.  So, I tested one tonight.  I would say we have a winner!

Take note at the rings on the stack.


So, excited by the test, I cut the 1/2" PVC pipe to 17".  With the base coupler, adapter and top piece, it is roughly 19" tall now.  When placed behind the LOF sand silos, it looks great!  So, my plan for tomorrow is to glue the rings on in even increments and hopefully paint Friday.  I'm very excited about this project.  A million thanks to Allen for sharing his great ideas!!!


Remember how I mentioned earlier my knee was feeling better?  Well, I was reminded of my injury when I went to squat down on the stool to review my Bing Map Photos of the LOF plants.  As I went down, I was like ouch.....Ouch......OUCH!!!!  It has been sore ever since then.  

Injury or not, I must hobble along to continue progress!  We have a railroad to run in 17 days!





2 comments:

  1. Be careful not to kill yourself in the process! Great pics so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not! I did absolutely nothing last night but lay on the sofa. I'm hoping to have more progress to report after this weekend.

      Delete