Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: More Scenery on the Layout

This evening, I received the Blair Line letters from my friend Larry in the mail.  I asked to borrow a few letters and he asks to borrow coal.  It worked out well.

I immediately lightly painted the letters and installed spacers on the back of the letters.  I glued them in place before dinner.  Not bad!  Thanks to Larry for expediting the letters up to me.

I like how the letters look.  They could probably be a tad bigger, but this will do.




After taking care of some errands, I worked on planting some more trees.  This was done in the area of Mill Street.  I wanted to go ahead and install the fence around the parking lot at Westclox.  I decided to fill in the are behind the parking lot with overgrowth of bushes.  I then took the plastic fence (I believe it came from the O.L. King and Sons Kit from the first layout), weathered it with a brown and red mud Doc o'Brien's powders.  I think it turned out pretty good.

Westclox parking lot looking kind of blah before.

Mill Street afterward with the new trees added.


Westclox Parking Lot afterward


This wood fence looks good after being weathered with powders


I need to add a guard shack or outbuilding to cover the grade crossing signal sensor by the ground throw.

Looking East on the mainline by Westclox' parking lot.

The back of the Westclox parking lot

Looking west down the access road to Belrose Silica.

Looking down the tree-lined access road to Belrose Silica

A school bus coming down the hill into Utica with a load of kids.

A few trucks backed up to the Westclox plant.


Looking west on the mainline at Mill Street in Utica.


Looking East on the mainline at Utica.  I think this looks very good compared to what I saw in person last summer.  

Looking west on the mainline - looking down the spur for Philadelphia Quartz (PQ).

The PQ Lead.

PQ


An overhead view of PQ.

Looking west at Utica Station.

Looking west from the roof of Utica Station.


The layout skirting is back up.  It must be time to operate again.

Peru/LaSalle/Utica - Peru Power, Westclox


Utica - Belrose Silica and PQ

Ottawa - Ottawa Yard

South Ottawa - Ottawa Silica

South Ottawa - Libbey-Owens-Ford (LOF) Glass Plant






4 comments:

  1. You have several shots that would look KickA$$ if you had ballast! Don't make me come back there... Get busy son, chop chop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir! LOL!!! I know it's time! I have procrastinated long enough. It will be my focus post op session and surgery.

      Delete