Friday, May 22, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Future Projects

Well, while milling over the prospect of expanding the layout, I really should get back to work on something.  The other day, I thought, I should dig out my Rock Island freight car book (Rock Island Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment) and see if I can make some new freight cars for the layout.  Surely, I can find something in there that I like that is already made, but just not in the RI paint scheme.  I had successfully redecaled a bunch of sand hoppers already.  Who is to say I can't create some more RI rolling stock that is either prototype or close enough for my taste.  I, by no means, am a rivet counter.

So, looking through the book, I came across these three cars.

Project 1 - ACF Pressureaide Covered Hopper
The first is the ACF 4-Bay 5,250 CuFt Pressureaide Covered Hopper.  These, of course, are manufactured by Atlas and are readily available on eBay.  I always liked these back in my day as a HO (Scale).  These would be easy to reproduce with the Microscale #60-19 Rock Island Freight Car - Assorted Block Lettering decals.  It's just like decalling a sand hopper, but bigger!

The ROCK had a total of 12 of these cars (RI 13988 through RI 13999).  I believe I will construct three of these cars for the layout.


Either one of these would be a good starting point.

Even this one with the patch would be an interesting twist.

Microscale 60-19 Freight Cars - Assorted Black Lettering Decals

Project 2 - Rock Island 53' Bulkhead Flat Car
The second project is a 53' Bulkhead Flat Car.  The ROCK assembled their own flat cars through 1958 from components supplied by others.  The series I will model will be the 91800-91811 numbers.  I will use the Athearn GSC Bulkhead Flat car as a starting point.  Again, I could use the same decal sheet #60-19 for the lettering on these cars as well.  I think I will construct three of these cars.



Project 3 - Rock Island Steel 52'6" Gondola
The third project I would like to try is a basic 52' Rock Island Gondola.  I already have some Trainworx Rock Island Gondolas that are similar, but have the speed lettering.  I would take a brown Trainworx gondola, remove the existing lettering and replace with the Rock Island block lettering.  By the way, I have always been a fan of the block lettering.  I have no idea why as it is so basic, but I  like it.

I figure I would just use a TrainWorx gon and remove the existing lettering and replace with the Rock Island block lettering (using the same Microscale 60-19 decals from above).  I think I will construct one or two of these cars.










2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan. Keep you off the street a while anyway:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. I won't get into (too) much trouble in the layout room.

      Delete