Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Traffic Management Department Update

So, as a follow-up to my last post, I created a new tab on the spreadsheet to log all the cars to be picked up by tab color at each terminal point.  It will automatically calculate the total number of cars that would need to fit in the storage tracks at Bureau Junction, LaSalle and Chillicothe.  If I find that the storage track totals are too high, I will adjust the number of cars picked up until we are within the limits.

Bureau Junction has two storage tracks: Peoria lead (15 cars max) and Silvis lead (7 cars max).  Although LaSalle Yard will have two tracks, I need to keep one open for the UTSW.  So, I set the max storage at LaSalle to ten cars.  Chillicothe will have a max of 18 total.  The spreadsheet will be updated after the track is laid and actual measurements can be made.

I then re-ran my scenario to visually see (with limits in place) how traffic will flow across the layout.  I think it will work well.  I already want to run either one of the Turn Locals.  Both seem like they would be a lot of fun to operate.

Storage Track Calculator


Here is the layout at the beginning of the session.





Follow along with train #113 Joliet to Bureau Junction as it travels from East Staging Yard to Ottawa, LaSalle, Bureau Junction and returns.





Second in the line-up would be train #130 Peoria to Bureau Turn.  Here's how it would play out.




Enough scenarios already!  We need to get building!  Well, I have a plan now.  Next up, seeking approval from the CEO.











No comments:

Post a Comment