Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: Airbrushing

I haven't forgot about the photos of the Fast Tracks FreightCrate.  I need to finish the second one and snap some photos.

Meanwhile, I have been practicing with airbrush painting.  Here are two projects I'm working on.

I got a hankering for an Illinois Central Gulf caboose, but unfortunately, you can't find them on eBay very often.  So, I thought to myself.  Maybe I could paint it myself.  It is all orange and basic decals.

Another project I wanted to do was create an Illinois Terminal GP7.  Again, they are pretty scarce on eBay.  I thought I could paint it and apply the decals (including yellow striping). 

Future Illinois Terminal GP7.
I believe I'm doing well with coverage and not too heavy on the paint.
I try to make many light passes.


Future ICG Extended Vision Caboose


I'm enjoying airbrushing.  It is not near as difficult as I thought it would be.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I appreciate all the tips from you and Larry Keller. :-)

      Delete
  2. Looking good Steven. Several very light coats is always best when airbrushing and almost letting it flash off between coats is better.
    Well done.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rod! I found painting to be the easy part. Decalling is much harder.

      Delete
  3. Looks good, Steven.
    Much air and low paint. Paint diluted like milk.
    Dont know wat color you are using. With mine I can use straight 70% Isopropyl for dillution. Flip side, the paint instantly dries.
    For decaling : Use a good overspray on the cars with a clear gloss coat prior decaling. This helps to get the decal almost look like "painted".

    ReplyDelete