Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: More Progress

This morning before work, I assembled the two Bar Mills Lowboy Trestles for the sand dump track at Ottawa Silica.


GP18 Project:
So, I have had this Life Like GP18 shell for some time.  I use it on the Bachmann GP7 chassis that I own as it fits well.  I'm ok with the paint scheme, but not my favorite.  One day, I came across this photo that sparked my interest in changing it.



Hmm...I may be able to do this.  Today at lunch, I tore apart this locomotive and plan on masking it off for paint.  Mine will have a different locomotive number unless I get up the nerve to change out the number boards.  I don't see that happening though.




This evening, I got out everything to start air brushing.  I need to pick up some modelers painting tape tomorrow (hopefully) from Hobby Lobby.  Everything is ready to go though.  I'm excited to try this new adventure.  Kind of crazy to start this project in the middle of everything else going on.  I think I have Model Railroad ADHD.  :-)

I didn't do much this evening overall.  I ended up spending time with my kids just hanging out.  

Later in the evening, I did cut out both main tracks just west of Ottawa Yard and installed a pair of curved turnouts.  This will allow a train to depart the yard and immediately access track two on the far track.  Tomorrow, I will work on gluing down this section as well as the revised section at East Bureau.  I will also install the Caboose Ground Throws tomorrow.

Goals Update
So, this is what I need to accomplish in the next 11 days.  
  • Tear down old TV cabinet off wall
  • Construct new Peoria Section and Lift Out piece
  • Install new turnout for Peoria Storage Track off Main 1 at Peru
  • Add Caboose Industry Ground Throw and Repair others at East Bureau Junction, West Ottawa Crossover.
  • Re-work track at LaSalle for Bureau Junction
  • Run new bus wire and attach to new portion of the layout.
  • Lay Track in Peoria
  • Install all ground throws for new track.
  • Wire up new track.
  • Install Auto Reverser on Wye.
  • Construct sand track trestles.
  • Install new Sand Clean out Track at Ottawa Silica
  • Glue down new Crossover at East Ottawa Yard.
  • Install slide switches at East Ottawa Yard crossover.
  • Repair three broken turnout points on old turnouts.
  • Add new crossover at East Utica.
  • Add new crossover to access Utica Storage Track.
  • Stage Layout
  • Clean Track 
  • Clean Locomotives
  • Prepare paperwork for operating session.

2 comments:

  1. I think you do LOL. Good to see the model railroad juices flowing.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my friend Larry was like "Are you crazy?" You have an op session in 8 days and haven't even laid majority of the track yet. But, you have time for experimenting with painting? :-)

      Delete