Thursday, September 3, 2015

The ROCK 3.0: What the paint?

I forgot to post photos from last night's crossover construction work.  Here is the new crossover just west of Ottawa Yard.  It is in the curve behind PQ.

Looking west from Ottawa Yard

Looking from above.  PQ on the left.

Looking east around the curve on the back end of PQ.  The throat of the yard is just before the signal bridge.

Paint Desk Report
I went by Hobby Lobby and picked up some Tamiya tape.  It came in two sizes 6mm and 18mm.  I purchased both.  It seems to work well.  It was suggested to me to use 3M tape from Micro Mark, but this was more accessible and cheaper without shipping.

Here is a pic of the unit taped up ready for paint.

I'm not sure if this is considered a good tape job or not.  It looks good to me and I was careful to ensure the tape was good and tight against the locomotive.

This evening, I attempted to paint using the el cheapo air brush I picked up from Harbor Freight a while back.  I mean this thing was cheap.  I figured I could practice on it.  Not!  I couldn't even get the Tru-Color paint to flow out from the start.  I was finally able to run some acetone through in an attempt to clean it out (figuring maybe it had some oil and some residue inside).  That flowed, but only when I had the pressure turned way up.  I consulted my friend Larry who is more versed in the skill of airbrushing.  We came to the conclusion that it must be the brush and not me.  Well, we hope.  Larry is going to come over Saturday and we will try one of his airbrushes.  Hopefully, things will work better.  We shall see.  This project may be a complete failure in the end.

Feeling defeated from the pain endeavor, I took a break for a little bit.  

I then moved upstairs.  I figured I needed to do something tonight to make up for my lost time with the airbrush fiasco.  I cut in the turnouts for Utica from Main 2.  In doing so, I managed to completely rip out the scale track at Belrose Silica.  !@#$%!  Luckily enough, I was able to fix it.  Finished all the trackwork between West Ottawa Yard and the Belrose Silica.  Glued all the tracks.  This is what it looks like tonight using all my glass container weights to hold the track down.




Goals Update
So, this is what I need to accomplish in the next 8 days.  
  • Tear down old TV cabinet off wall
  • Construct new Peoria Section and Lift Out piece
  • Install new turnout for Peoria Storage Track off Main 1 at Peru
  • Add Caboose Industry Ground Throw and Repair others at East Bureau Junction, West Ottawa Crossover.
  • Re-work track at LaSalle for Bureau Junction
  • Run new bus wire and attach to new portion of the layout.
  • Lay Track in Peoria
  • Install all ground throws for new track.
  • Wire up new track in Peoria.
  • Install Auto Reverser on Wye.
  • Construct sand track trestles.
  • Install new Sand Clean out Track at Ottawa Silica
  • Glue down new Crossover at East Ottawa Yard.
  • Install slide switches at East Ottawa Yard crossover.
  • Drop feeders on new tracks added to original layout.
  • Add Caboose Ground Throws to Turnouts added to original layout.
  • Repair three broken turnout points on old turnouts.
  • Add new crossover at East Utica.
  • Add new crossover to access Utica Storage Track.
  • Stage Layout
  • Clean Track 
  • Clean Locomotives
  • Prepare paperwork for operating session.

4 comments:

  1. You're moving along, looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dwayne. I'm not feeling the pressure yet, but somewhat overwhelmed. This weekend will provide for massive amounts of progress. I basically need to have the layout nearly ready to go by the end of the weekend so I can work on locomotives and testing during the week.

      Delete
  2. You must have the biggest glass container collection I have ever seen LOL. Looking good. Can I suggest when you are ready to paint your loco to give it a coat of light grey before the yellow. Yellow does not cover well on its own. I have used the Tamiya tape for years and it is so far superior than masking tape it's not funny. If you burnish the edges down nice and snug you get a few neat line.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those are from IKEA. We use them to corral all the markers, pens, paint brushes, etc that the girls and my wife use on their craft projects. They are also very heavy and work well for securing track while the glue dries.

      That is good to hear on the Tamiya paint. I thought about that about painting a light gray first. My friend Larry suggested to take some decal solvent and try to remove the stripes as he was afraid they would stand out. I ordered a Badger Airbrush which will arrive Sunday (thanks to Amazon Prime and the hard workers of the US Postal Service).

      Delete