Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Belrose Silica Sand Pit

This evening I was showing my wife Carrie my handy work with the bluff between LaSalle and Utica.  She stated it reminded her a lot of the bluff into Mount Sterling near her hometown in Illinois.  As mentioned in a previous post, the same area had inspired me to create this scene.  It was a steep grade between the two towns on the layout.  All I could imagine was a Rock Island freight rumbling up the grade as the diesels dug in.  It was great to receive confirmation of what I was trying to portray was seen on the layout.

Carrie, who has such a great mind, asked about the flat spot on top of the bluff.  I told her I wasn't sure what direction I was going to go with it, but most likely would round it off and plant trees along the top.  She stated the scene was screaming for a quarry there.  The thought had never crossed my mind.  The more we talked about it, the more I *loved* the idea!  Belrose Silica is right across the tracks.

So, off to Bing Maps to review the area once again.  Belrose Silica mined sand from a quarry about a mile north of the plant.  So, the quarry would be a perfect fit for the layout.  How exciting!  I was never expecting to model a quarry, but am now busting at the thought!

That's what I love about my wife.  She is my best friend, but best of all, we compliment each other well.   We make a great team.


No comments:

Post a Comment