Sunday, April 14, 2013

Progress Report 04.14.13 - Covered Hopper Diet Change

So, yesterday, we had some guests over.  They viewed the layout and ran a test train.  The test train (unit grain train) derailed in four places.  It only figures....showing off the layout and there are problems.  I was surprised though.  Usually those cars do well.  I had added weight to them.  I went back to them this evening.  The weights added to the covered hoppers were sitting high inside the car making them unstable.   Most weights added to box cars sit low right over the wheels.  I removed the weights that were previously added and filled in the center sill with bird shot.  I ran the train again forward and backwards across the layout.  No problems.  I appreciate Jake, my 7 yr old assistant, testing this train before the next operating session.

No comments:

Post a Comment