Sunday, October 27, 2013

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 10.27.13

This morning, I worked on the layout for about an hour.  I installed three turnouts, the sand unloading track and run around track for Libbey-Owens-Ford.

This afternoon and evening, I installed the remaining tracks for Libbey-Owens-Ford completing this section.  Well, I take that back.  I haven't glued down the two box car loading tracks for LOF as I need to install the blue LEDs first.

I then installed the turnout that leads into the sorting building which is used to load foundry sand.  This completes installation of all the turnouts except for two for Ottawa Silica and LOF.  I'm in need of a right hand turnout to complete the trackwork behind the Ottawa Silica plant.

I have now completed installation of 17 of the 25 turnouts originally ordered.  I'm hoping my eBay guy ships the second batch this week which contains some much needed right-hand turnouts.

Previously, I had cut cardboard strips from some thick cardboard file dividers and glued in a stair-step fashion to create a gradual slope up from the table top track level (for industry and the yard) to the mainline height (on cork roadbed).  This evening, I plastered that area and will sand this week.

Here are photos of the progress.

Looking north from Ottawa Avenue at the Ottawa Silica Plant.
The four tracks on the left is the sand loading yard.  The turnout to nowhere to the right of that will be a run around track.  The next track to the right is a through/scale track.  The diverging route to the far right will go behind the plant to access the bagged sand loading tracks.  

Libbey-Owens-Ford
Sand unloading track on the left.

 Chemical track on the right.
Windshield box car loading on the far two right tracks.

A reminder to myself that I need to purchase more plaster.  In case you wanted to know, this is what I use.  I like it pretty good.  Don't get the pink stuff though.  That stuff doesn't dry well and cracks easily.

The cardboard file divider that I cut into strips to transition from the yard/industry tracks to the mainline.

The gradual slope into the yard after plaster.  

The curve into the Ottawa Silica Plant.










No comments:

Post a Comment