Sunday, January 26, 2014

The ROCK 3:0: Progress Report 01.23 - 01.26.14 - The ROCK is BACK!!

I made a conscious decision this week to make a big push on the model railroad to get the rest of the track laid as well as work on other projects.  It turned out to be a productive weekend.

Thursday ~
I received in some new projects from Train Cat Models.  Three brass tank car loading platforms.  I don't think they will be too bad, but the stairs make me a little nervous.


I'm sure they will look super awesome over at Philadelphia Quartz.  After assembling the BLMA brass signal bridge kits, I'm more open to trying other brass kits as well.

This evening, I spent time working on Ottawa Yard.  I worked for three hours tonight, cutting and shaping each track.  What a long process, but I had to remind myself, this yard is a third of the layout!


Friday ~
This morning, I questioned a choice I made about having a curve in the yard tracks to make it around the bridge I constructed.  I shot him some photos via text and got some constructive feedback.  It was then decided to straighten out the tracks and add on to the bridge to make it wider.  I appreciate the feedback from 1,200 miles away!  Technology rocks!

Commenced in gluing Track #5 (closest to the main).  I broke to eat lunch with my girls at school and then my wife at her school.

This afternoon, I made another push working for 3 or 4 hours straight.  I completed gluing all the tracks in the yard minus the RIP track.  I only have the mainline (beside the yard) and RIP track to complete now.  The yard has taken roughly 8 hours to complete the entire thing.  Whew!  

While waiting for the glue to dry on some of the yard tracks, I worked on the Utica Signal Control panel.  I had already printed up the control board schematic.  I drilled the holes in the plexiglass.  Later in the evening, while watching tv, I worked on installing the rotary and toggle switches. 







During a warm streak this afternoon (27 degrees), I spray-bombed the BLMA brass signal bridges that I built a little while ago.  I painted both a flat black.  They look really good!








Saturday ~
I worked on various other projects in the house today, but did make progress on the layout.  The biggest and best news....I completed all trackwork on the layout including the double track mainline adjacent to the yard and RIP track.  So, it's done.  The Golden Spike for v3.0 is in place!!  The last trackage went in just east of the CB&Q crossing.  I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of this track! 

Looking west in Ottawa Yard.


The scale track in Ottawa Yard.

Looking down the west yard ladder.  On the left is the RIP track and caboose track.

Looking east at Ottawa Yard

Looking east at Ottawa Yard toward the CB&Q Junction.
The two tracks that go off to the right is the lead to Ottawa Silica (left) and yard lead (right)

An overhead look, of Ottawa Yard crossing the creek.  
The track that branches off to the bottom of the photo is the engine house lead.

The mainline looking east toward the CB&Q Junction crossing the creek at Ottawa.

One of many sand hoppers that will fill this yard.  The farm in the background is named Franklin Farms after my wife's grandparents.  The grain elevator is the old Daniel Grain Co. elevator named after my dad that passed away over four years ago.


This evening we stopped in at IKEA and picked up a few things for the family craft/hobby room including some fancy glassware for corralling pens, markers, paint brushes, etc.  We also found a fabric that both my wife and I agreed on for the layout skirting.  Here's a sample of it.  We need to determine the best way to secure it to the layout.  It reminds me of the old Amtrak logo combined with drafting lines from a blueprint or layout plan.  


I think it will work well.  Notice the missing books I had on display between the collage of RI memorabilia.  I need to find something a little strong to hold those up on the wall.


Sunday ~
My wife and I constructed the new cabinet/storage shelf and installed on the wall in the family craft/hobby room.





What's next for the ROCK?  I need to work on cleaning and organization.  I would like to work on wiring, but as my wife advised, I will quickly lose focus once the layout is operational.  She knows me so well.  :-)  Best to get stuff cleaned up and straight now.  





2 comments:

  1. Steven everything looks great! The yard turnout damned fine!
    I cannot wait to see shots of the first train rolling across the layout.

    February is almost here and you stated you wanted trains rolling by then, I think you'll make it!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allen! I'm really excited! Getting the trackwork done was a big one. Now, to get the wiring complete and start to move some trains!

      Delete