Monday, January 27, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 01.27.14

The first signal heads arrived from BeNScale.  Four of these will be installed on each of the two BLMA signal bridges at Utica.  Man, are they ever tiny!  I need to dig up a pair of coke bottles glasses so I can see this stuff!  Wow!  I can't wait to see them lit up!


After dinner, I drilled the holes in the plexiglass for the Ottawa Signal Control Board.  While watching TV, I assembled the components.  Ottawa and Utica will be the only signal control boards on the layout.


Earlier in the evening, I worked hard on cleaning and organizing the room.  It looks like a mess now, but progress is being made.  

Later this evening, I worked on picking up all debris, parts, etc. left behind on the layout.  I also started stripping wires to wire up the remaining tracks.  

Overall, it was a pretty productive evening.



4 comments:

  1. Steven,

    I've been on the edge of my seat following this as I am considering the various options for searchlight signals on the layout I am building. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make sure to post my progress as it goes. It will be a learning curve for me as I have never dealt with signals before. The BeNScale signals sure do look nice though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven,
    I do like your approach on signaling. Do you plan to display the signal aspects in dependence to the turnout positions ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I considered that, but to figure out the logic behind it all would have been really complex on the wiring. The operators that visit my layout are really good about running prototypically. I figured this would be the easiest way to do it. A station operator can control the signals or the crew themselves if I'm short handed.

      Delete