Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The ROCK 3.0: Progress Report 04.23.14 - PQ Plant

I have turned my focus to working on the Philadelphia Quartz (PQ) plant in Utica.  I'm really excited about this project.  It's a pretty neat plant that has a lot of cool aspects.  I reviewed the Bing Map images of the plant.  While I can not model the plant to match perfectly, I believe I have come up with a very good representation of the layout and structures.  Here is the design I drew up.


The plant has a total of 23 car spots:
  • Inbound Silica Sand - 10 spots
  • Inbound Liquid Chemical - 1 spot
  • Inbound Dry Chemical - 1 spot
  • Outbound Dry Chemical - 3 spots (two locations)
  • Outbound Liquid Chemical - 8 spots
This evening, paving crews returned to work at PQ.  Wow!  There is a lot of asphalt to pave at this plant.  I believe I have the first coat completely done.  Now, I'll let it dry a couple of days and then start the sanding process.  The tough part for me will be figuring out what color to paint it.  I'm horrible with colors (color blind).  

Here are pics of the site under construction:


You can see the remnants of the old overpass that was taken out by a tornado the other week.  

I found this interesting.  They unload freight cars and trucks at the same spot.  

I have a lot of sanding to do.

Man, that looks nice!  I can't wait to see the tanks rolling across the lot.


Overhead view of the entire plant.  Hard to believe you can squeeze 23 spots here.
Gosh, I love N Scale!

Many more chemical tanks will be added.  I picked up another piece of PVC pipe today along with some hardwood dowels of various thicknesses.

I have been referencing my own drawing and the Bing Maps I printed throughout this project.



In other news, my good friend Allen in Nebraska (of the http://thelittlerockline.blogspot.com/ blog) hooked me up by printing reporting marks for the 75 or so sand hoppers I need to re-decal.  I can't express my gratitude enough.  Many thanks to Allen for helping me out with this project!



For the crew of the Ottawa Local, I'm happy to report we have a new transfer caboose to be used as a shoving platform.  Why N&W you ask?  I wanted a red one.  I didn't like the RI brown ones offered by Bluford Shops.  The RI (brown) transfer cabooses are foobies anyway.  I figure I will just expand on the foobie idea and make one like I want.  I will remove the N&W logo and reporting marks and replace with the Rock Island logo.  





2 comments:

  1. Too cool Steven!
    Philadelphia Quartz should be a real signature scene when you finished :)
    Looking forward to the new crummy when it's done.
    Thanks for the plug buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allen! I'm really excited to move forward with this project and make at least one scene (for now) really stand out!

      Delete